Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: Hey! I'm (kinda) new

  1. #1
    Inactive Member sickK8's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 25th, 2007
    Posts
    5
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    hi
    I've been a lurker for a while and I finally had something to ask.
    ebay has stopped being the wild west and is cracking down painfully on bootlegs. I wondered if anyone knows of another venue where one can unload said material.
    My thoughs on the bootleg situation are this: I agree completely that downloading tracks on the internet that you could otherwise purchase legally and financially support bands is stealing. I disagree completely that live albums should be subject to the same laws. I am a rabid social d fan and i cannot get enough live shows (i usually rip them and resell them) If social d sold them, I would sell my plasma to buy them legally...but they don't, so I have become a pirate. Bands should take a lesson from pearl jam's live albums, they sold, made the band money, and are now out of print and sell well (and legally) on ebay...
    and now I'll get off my soapbox
    thanks for listening

  2. #2
    Inactive Member mawpizzle's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 14th, 2005
    Posts
    308
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I just have a problem with people making money off Social D's name by selling stuff like this for profit. Trade 'em all you want, but when money is involved, an ethical line has been breeched.

  3. #3
    Inactive Member sickK8's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 25th, 2007
    Posts
    5
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I paid money for them originally - WAY before anyone I knew was trading this stuff. I didn't make the disc, I just bought it to get the music. I agree completely, I know the guy that presses them and he's a dick. but like I said...rabid social d fan and I would sell plasma to get them...

  4. #4
    Inactive Member mawpizzle's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 14th, 2005
    Posts
    308
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I realize that, and I hope I don't come off sounding like a dick or anything, but you paying for them and selling them is part of the problem. I hear ya though, I love hearing live versions of the songs.

  5. #5
    Inactive Member sickK8's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 25th, 2007
    Posts
    5
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    it's cool. I was just seeking a solution to my situation.

  6. #6
    Inactive Member HotRodder82's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 29th, 2006
    Posts
    354
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    i guess independent record shops would be your best bet. i've bought bootlegs from ebay (no, i didn't pay an arm and a leg for them) but i do feel ripped off now, but that's just due to my own ignorance.

    with that said, i have no problem with someone recording a show and selling the discs to pay for the cost of production (microphone, recorder and ticket). i've wabted to get into taping, but its going to cost me about $300-$500 to do it right, and it's just not affordable. if i go to 5 shows, that's alsost $100 per cd!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •